Mexican cuisine is known for its bold flavors and comforting dishes, and enchiladas are no exception. Traditionally made with meat, this vegetarian version is filled with a colorful mix of vegetables and smothered in a rich and flavorful enchilada sauce and cheese. Here’s how to make vegetable enchiladas at home:
- 2 cups mixed vegetables (bell peppers, zucchini, corn, etc.), chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups enchilada sauce
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar or Mexican blend)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- Sour cream, for serving
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until they are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mixed vegetables, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Cook until the vegetables are tender, about 7-10 minutes.
- Warm the tortillas according to the package instructions. This will make them easier to roll.
- Spread a thin layer of enchilada sauce on the bottom of a baking dish.
- Spoon the vegetable mixture onto a tortilla, then sprinkle with a little cheese. Roll up the tortilla and place it seam side down in the baking dish. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and vegetable mixture.
- Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the filled tortillas and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with sour cream.
- Feel free to customize the vegetables according to your preference and season. Other good options include spinach, mushrooms, and carrots.
- You can make your own enchilada sauce or use store-bought.
These vegetable enchiladas are a perfect dish for a comforting weeknight dinner or for entertaining guests. Serve them with a side of Mexican rice and refried beans for a complete meal. Enjoy!
Discover more delicious recipes and diet-related blog on GSFoodie – your go-to destination for all things food!