Fried rice is a classic dish in Asian cuisine, and this vegetable version is quick, easy, and incredibly delicious. It’s a perfect way to use up leftover rice and vegetables, and it comes together in no time. Plus, it’s a great way to get a variety of vegetables into your diet. Here is how you can make vegetable fried rice at home:
- 2 cups cooked rice, cold
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, corn, bell pepper, etc.)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Sesame seeds, for garnish (optional)
- Prepare the rice: Make sure the rice is completely cooled before using it. This will help prevent it from getting mushy when frying.
- Cook the vegetables: In a large pan or wok, heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes until soft. Add the mixed vegetables and cook for another 5-7 minutes until they are tender.
- Cook the eggs: Push the vegetables to one side of the pan and add the beaten eggs to the other side. Scramble the eggs and mix them with the vegetables.
- Add the rice: Add the cold rice to the pan and break up any clumps. Mix well with the vegetables and eggs.
- Season the rice: Drizzle the soy sauce and sesame oil over the rice and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the chopped green onions.
- Serve: Remove from heat and serve hot. Garnish with sesame seeds, if desired.
- Feel free to customize the vegetables according to your preference and season. Other good options include broccoli, zucchini, and mushrooms.
- You can also add some protein like cooked chicken, shrimp, or tofu.
This vegetable fried rice is a quick and easy dish that is perfect for a weeknight dinner. It is a great way to use up leftover rice and vegetables, and it is also a great dish to make ahead of time for meal prep. Serve it with your favorite Asian-style main dish or enjoy it on its own. Happy cooking!