A warm bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food, and this hearty vegetable soup is no exception. It is loaded with a variety of vegetables and simmered in a flavorful broth. It’s the perfect way to warm up on a cold day and is also a great way to use up leftover vegetables. Plus, it’s vegan, gluten-free, and incredibly healthy. Here’s how you can make a delicious vegetable soup at home:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup green beans, chopped
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups spinach leaves, chopped
- 1 can (15 oz) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for serving (optional)
- Sauté the vegetables: In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes until soft. Add the carrots, celery, zucchini, and green beans and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add the liquids and spices: Add the diced tomatoes (with their juice), vegetable broth, thyme, oregano, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 20-25 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the spinach and beans: Stir in the chopped spinach and cannellini beans and cook for another 5 minutes until the spinach is wilted and the beans are heated through.
- Garnish and serve: Remove from heat and stir in the chopped parsley. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed. Serve hot with a sprinkle of grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- You can customize the vegetables according to your preference and season. Other good options include potatoes, peas, and broccoli.
- If you want to add some protein, you can add some cooked chicken or sausage.
This hearty vegetable soup is a nutritious and satisfying meal that will warm you up from the inside out. Serve it with a slice of crusty bread for a complete meal. It’s a great way to get a variety of vegetables into your diet and is also perfect for meal prep as it keeps well in the refrigerator for a few days. Enjoy!