Curry is a universally loved dish, and making it with vegetables is not only healthy but also incredibly delicious. This vegetable curry is packed with a variety of colorful vegetables and simmered in a flavorful coconut milk-based sauce. It’s a perfect dish for a weeknight dinner as it is quick to prepare, and you can use any vegetables you have on hand. Plus, it’s vegan and gluten-free!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 cups mixed vegetables (carrots, bell peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.)
- 1 can (14 oz) coconut milk
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- Fresh coriander, chopped, for garnish
- Cooked rice, for serving
- Sauté the onions and garlic: In a large pan, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onions, minced garlic, and grated ginger. Cook for about 5-7 minutes until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the vegetables: Add the mixed vegetables to the pan and cook for another 5-7 minutes.
- Add the liquids and spices: Pour in the coconut milk and diced tomatoes (with their juice). Stir in the curry powder, turmeric, paprika, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Simmer the curry: Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 20-25 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the spinach: Stir in the spinach leaves and cook for another 3-5 minutes until they are wilted.
- Garnish and serve: Remove from heat and garnish with chopped coriander. Serve hot over cooked rice.
- You can customize the vegetables according to your preference and season. Other good options include peas, potatoes, and green beans.
- Adjust the spices according to your taste. If you like it spicier, you can add some chili powder or red pepper flakes.
This easy vegetable curry is a wholesome and flavorful dish that will satisfy your curry cravings while keeping things light and healthy. Serve it over rice or quinoa for a complete meal. It is a great dish to make ahead of time as the flavors develop even more the next day. Enjoy!