This recipe for squid in American sauce combines marine flavors with a spicy touch in a very special delicious sauce.
With this same recipe, you can prepare cuttlefish, squid, and even octopus (in this case previously cooked). You can increase the spiciness if you like it better by adding more chili.
Ingredients for 4 people:
– Squid American sauce ingredients
– 900 g of clean squid or cuttlefish, or a well-frozen squid
– 1 can of 500 g of crushed tomato
– 1 onion
– 3 garlic cloves
– A green pepper or a piece of red pepper
– 1 glass of cognac (150 ml)
– 1 glass of white wine (100 ml)
– Extra virgin olive oil
– 1 chili pepper or a little cayenne powder
– To serve: White rice or a microwavable rice cup
Preparation of squid in American sauce:
– After cleaning and chopping the squid, let them drain very well in a colander so that they release as much water as possible.
– Chop the onion, pepper, and garlic and put them to poach in a frying pan with oil.
– Once poached, add the clean squid cut into slices, pour in the cognac, and let the alcohol evaporate along with the wine.
– Then add the tomato, the salt, and the chili.
– Let it cook for about 20 minutes over rather low heat until the squid are tender and the sauce has reduced and thickened.
– Serve with white rice or a microwavable rice glass and a little chopped parsley.
Tips and Comments:
– To complete this stew, we can add some small peeled potatoes at the beginning of cooking that will be served after garnishing.
– Instead of the chili you can use a teaspoon of hot paprika.