Here are the most common dishes in American breakfasts with time and with the family.
- French Toasts: In French toasts, the bread is soaked in a mixture of egg, milk, sugar, and cinnamon. Then brown with butter in the pan and sprinkle with icing sugar. Normally, they are accompanied by maple syrup or honey, various fruits, Nutella, jams, etc. They can even be served with bacon, eggs, and sausage.
- Biscuits and Gravy: It is a typical breakfast of the South of the USA that consists of some milk/butter rolls – although they call them biscuits, they are not cookies; they are more like our muffins and look just like English scones – topped with gravy.
- Hash Brown: They are potato pancakes made with grated potato, salt, and pepper. They are usually accompanied by sausages and eggs. Likewise, they can also be enjoyed with jams or add onion to the dough to give it more flavor.
- Grits: Also common in the South of the USA. It is not usually missing in the so-called Big Breakfast (great breakfast) along with eggs, bacon, toast, and cookies. Grits are corn grits cooked in milk or water. It’s like porridge (oatmeal) in England. Those who take it daily, do it with honey, maple syrup, or sugar.
- Pancakes: yes, the typical pancakes that we see in the movies are also part of the American breakfast. Served with different syrups and fruits.
Finally, it is important to note that, The US is made up of 50 states and we suppose that each locality will have its characteristics/customs and each person has his habits and preferences, but we wanted to collect in this post the most common and characteristic breakfasts that we have seen in the US so far.